The question below consists of a paragraph in which the first
and last sentences are identified. Choose the option that has the most
logical order of the intermediate sentences.
- In 2006 a possible sighting was reported of a predicted but previously unobserved fundamental particle called the axion.
- The theory describes the binding of the elementary particles called quarks in protons and neutrons.
- The sighting was based on an experiment by Emilio Zavattini and colleagues in the PVLAS (vacuum polarization with a laser) collaboration at the Italian Institute of Nuclear Physics, Trieste.
- The axion was believed to have no spin, no charge, and a very small mass, which would make it very difficult to detect.
- They used a magnetic field to rotate the polarization of light in a vacuum.
- The existence of the particle was postulated in 1977 to explain an anomalous result of the field equations of quantum chromodynamics.
- The result could be interpreted as a manifestation of the axion, but the properties of the particle appeared to be far different from those that had been originally postulated.