The question below consists of a set of labelled sentences.
These sentences, when properly sequenced, form a coherent paragraph.
Choose the most logical order of sentences from among the options.
- These innovations stored water for prolonged periods of drought, and enabled the city to prosper from its sale.
- The area is visited by flash floods and archaeological evidence demonstrates the Nabataeans controlled these floods by the use of dams, cisterns and water conduits.
- Excavations have demonstrated that it was the ability of the Nabataeans to control the water supply that led to the rise of the desert city, in effect creating an artificial oasis.
- Enclosed by towering rocks and watered by a perennial stream, Petra not only possessed the advantages of a fortress but controlled the main commercial routes which passed through it to Gaza in the west, to Bosra and Damascus in the north, to Aqaba and Leuce Come on the Red Sea, and across the desert to the Persian Gulf.
- Additionally, Eusebius and Jerome assert that Rekem was the native name of Petra, supposedly on the authority of Josephus. Pliny the Elder and other writers identify Petra as the capital of the Nabataeans, Aramaic-speaking Semites, and the centre of their caravan trade.
- Rekem is an ancient name for Petra and appears in Dead Sea scrolls associated with Mount Seir.