CAT 2009 – Exam AnalysisTo put you minds at ease and answer all your queries about the CBT CAT 2009, here is a short writeup which enumerates the various points that you need to keep in mind while attempting the exam.
Tutorial (optional): Duration - 15 minutes.
We suggest, you should go through the tutorial once, even if you have seen it before.
The actual duration of the test is 2 hours and 15 minutes.
Verbal Ability, Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning; not necessarily in that order.
Test Format and pattern:
Reports suggest a total of 60 questions with 20 from each section. The pattern is similar to previous CAT papers.
Though not mentioned on the day of the exam, the IIM DEMO player does state that “Wrong answer carries negative point. Therefore it is to your advantage to answer every question correctly. If you are unsure of your answer, you can MARK the question for review if time permits”
However, the marks per question & the actual negative marking is not known hence it is futile to speculate about the cut-offs.
You can highlight text in group questions like RCs. You can make multiple highlights in a particular screen, which gets deleted once you switch to the next screen.
You can mark a question to come back to it later. You can then Review either all the questions or review only the marked questions or review only the incomplete questions. The review shows a list of all the questions, but it will not directly give you a count of the questions attempted or to be attempted. You will need to manually count the number of questions for such data.
Items provided for rough work:
Pencils, eraser and a paper booklet of 4 A4 size papers will be provided. You will not be allowed to take your own stationary into the computer lab. In case of broken or blunt pencil points, your pencil will be replaced immediately.
Ending the test:
If you click the END button at the bottom of the screen, you are immediately logged out of the test. There is no popup box asking you whether you are sure about quitting the test. This button is very close to the NEXT button. Hence, while giving the test DO NOT click on the End button at any point of time.
The timer is present on the screen at all time and shows the time remaining till the end of the test. Wrist watches are not allowed into the computer lab. At the end of the test, when your time runs out, you will be automatically logged out of the test and a screen with “You have run out of time” text will be visible.
WHAT WE DON'T KNOW
1. Weightage of a question
2. Will the number of questions remain the same for all the time-slots?
3. Quantum of negative marking.
WHAT WE DO KNOW
- Prometric has extended the deadline for editing details till Dec 11.
- Biometrics Testing includes your photo being taken by a PC camera and an electronic finger printing (left and right hand index finger 3-3 times).
- Voucher Admit card printout and Photo ID are required to give the test. If you have lost either, call on the Prometric helpline immediately. Voucher number is required to login. The confirmation email need not be printed in the admit card. Only the admit card summary is important.
- Having different addresses in the admit card and in the photo-id won’t deter you from giving the test. To be on the safe side, if such a case rises, take your electricity or telephone bill with you.
- You do not require the Prometric username and password to give the test.
- The password required to login to the test will be given by Prometric volunteers at the start of the test.
- For doing rough work, pencil, eraser and a booklet having 4 A4 sizes papers (8 sides) are provided. No sharpners are provided. They just change your pencils.
- Skipping the 15 minutes tutorial won’t grant extra time for the test. It is advisable to go through the tutorial anyway.
- System is user-friendly.
- Changing resolution of the screen (zooming) is not possible.
- Exiting the test software or opening another application like Notepad of MS Word is not possible.
- Cntrl + F is disabled. So finding a word in RC using the same is not possible.
- Duration of the test won’t keep one down.
- Negative marking exists.
- You can start from any section of your choice.
- To clear the clicked option, re-click on the same to deselect the option.
- The END button is very close to the NEXT button. Be extra careful. You don’t want to ruin a year.
- We can jump between questions by using the Review feature (as shown in the CAT demo Player)
- Highlighting multiple lines in an RC section is possible. However, the selection is lost if we move away from the section.
- Time left is displayed on screen. Timer logs you out automatically at the end of the test.
- You wouldn’t get a score-sheet immediately after the exam is over. The results will be announced on 22-Jan-2010
- Make sure to file an official complaint with the Prometric ‘proctors’ if you find issues with the technology (any technical glitches) while giving the test.
- As marking system is unknown, the only strategy in hand is to attempt as many questions as possible without compromising on accuracy.
- Students claim that the level of difficulty of CAT was not as high as expected. Hence attempting more questions correctly will give you an edge.
- Reports say that attempting 45+ questions (spread out equally across the three sections) with a 80-85+ accuracy seems to be a good bet.
- It is recommended that a break up of 40 minutes for Verbal, 45 minutes for Quant and 50 minutes for DI LR is optimum.
- Students expecting higher scores suggest that 13-15 Qs in VA, 11-13 in QA and 10-12 in DI would help you get a good score.
|Other resources by TestFunda|
|Related Resources on this topic|